Spring Camp is at the Beaver Creek and Clearwater cabins located in the Jack Lord Area of D-Bar-A Scout ranch.
Maps are available here:
Keep this phone number with you as you travel: 248 709 6587
This is the phone number to Steve Alexander, Committee Chair, who will guide you in if you need assistance.
Please ensure you do not pack anything with peanuts, we have folks attending with allergies.
If you have not already turned it in, we need your Health/Medical/Emergency contact form (section A&B) completed, along with your payment for camp, and your paid registration to Scouting no later than May 7th ($25 per person to Scott Rowe) or we will not be able to properly accommodate you.
Toys and electronics, including iPods, Light Sabers, and DVD players are strictly prohibited on this camp-out. If you have to use your personal cellphone (even for texting), please use it in the parking lot (aka the smoking area) so as not to deter from our brief time in nature.
Scouts should arrive in Class A. Will we have a formal Scouts Own Service, Class A is the uniform to be worn during that service. Saturday, wear class B shirt all day.
Please stay tuned to weather forecast for Metamora MI 48455 and bring appropriate gear. I know that sounds obvious but we’ll be outside Friday night and most of the day Saturday in a mix of direct sun and thick woods.
Friday night dinner is not provided, you could either eat before you come or stop at the McDonald’s that’s about 10 miles down the road or you could join us for a fantastic potluck centered around pizza hobo-pies in the campfire. If you’re inclined to dine with us, please sign up for the Camp Friday Night Potluck via the signup link (posted under “Spring 2013 Camp” on our website www.pack897livonia.org)
Rules for our Scouts using Trails (this is in addition to our camp rules)
1. These rules really are for the safety of the kids; they may sound simple, obvious, or overprotective, but I have LOTS of stories to back up how I reached these 10 rules for these boys!
2. Always tell your parent/guardian where you are going, how far you are going and who you are going with.
3. Always use the buddy system, no going off on your own.
4. Stay on the trail, away from roads, away from water.
5. Never run or hide or go quiet if you are lost.
6. Know where you are. If you need help, yelp!
7. Be alert to your surroundings (be careful of low hanging branches, water over the trail, etc).
8. No littering of any kind, ever, anywhere.
9. Be alert to dangerous animals, insects, and plants. Never touch any animal or any plant.
10. Drink 1 pint of water for each hour of activity. Never drink water from the stream.
11. Each Scout must have a whistle and know to blow it exactly 3 times if they are lost.
Things you got to pack (better yet, have your Scout pack while you guide him)!
***NOTE: this is a green camp, we will eliminate waste as much as possible by reuse**
1. 2 gallons of water per person - our cabins do not have drinking water.
2. Mess kit or plate/bowl/cup/silverware in a mesh bag (recommend the kit at Meijers). Very important! You will wash and reuse this all weekend!
3. Reusable water bottle for hikes
4. At least 1 whistle per person
5. Small flashlight (ideally 1 per person)
6. Fishing gear
7. Shoes with good tread or hiking boots
8. rain boots (it’s been raining lately, things get muddy)
9. rain jacket
10. pajamas or something like them (no sleeping in your undies!)
11. spare clothes in case things get wet and plan to dress in layers
12. toothpaste, toothbrush, and SOAP and YOUR OWN TOWEL! There is no soap or towels in the bathrooms, only toilet paper (not the soft kind).
13. Bedding. We get bunk bed cots, some people love ‘em with just a sleeping bag, others want to put down an extra foam pad (the backpacker kind), sheets, whatever.
14. Stuff for taking a shower, you’ll probably want shower shoes too, they’re good showers!
15. Lawn chairs – there are picnic tables but trust me, you’ll want your lawn chair.
16. Extra bag for dirty stinky clothes that zips up (please)
17. Extra snacks. Yes, we’ll have lots of food but it never hurts to have your own stash.
18. Anything else on this list you think I forgot to mention but thought of yourself.